Thursday, August 22, 2013

6 Hours in Vienna

When we were booking our flight to Barcelona, we found that we had to have a layover somewhere.  We could have chosen a short layover in some random city, or we could have a 6 hour layover in Vienna.  I called Sean, who gets a little anxious about airports and being on time, and he said go for it.  So to Vienna we went!
 
We landed, and literally ran to the train into the city (it left every 30 minutes and we jumped in just a the doors were closing). It only took 30 minutes and dropped us off in downtown Vienna.  I love the efficiency of Austria!  And what a beautiful city it was.  I could just imagine it back in the day when horses and carriages were the sources of transportation, and people wore ball gowns and people went to the opera and theater for entertainment.
 
Before we went, I found a walking tour map of the city, and I'm very glad I did.  I took us where we needed it to, and it worked out perfectly.  We also packed our winter gear - coming from warm and sunny Barcelona, the wintry chill of Vienna was an abrupt change.
 
While I can't name the buildings, I can post some pictures of our 3 1/2 hour jaunt in Vienna.  And there was snow!!  Woohoo!!
 

 
Mmmmm, bratwurst :)


 
This may or may not be the Vienna opera house :)







 
Vienna Palace perhaps?







 



 



 
 
We would love to go back one day, and take a little longer, but if not, then we had a great little taste of Vienna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment